Update on Next Steps

(Christie Koehler) #1

Hi Everyone,

(FYI I sent a version of this email to all the Summit participants. Posting a slight re-write here to keep everyone in the loop.)

Some quick updates on progress towards organizing output from the Summit and
creating a report from that output.

First, and this is important: This is the last communication I have sent to Summit participants through Tito, the registration platform we used for the Summit. Henceforth, all my communication to the group will be through Discourse in the Sustainability topic. If I need to contact you individually, I will do so directly.

If you haven’t already created an account on the NumFOCUS Discourse, I will invite you shortly after I send this final email through Tito. If you prefer email over the web interface for Discourse, once you’ve created an account, you can enable “mailing list mode” here.

Second, this page details our plan for completing and publishing a report of Summit proceedings. The plan includes a detailed schedule, with a first draft by 12/15, a final draft by 1/15, and publishing the final report on 1/31. This schedule was created with the Fall and end-of-year holidays in mind and with an emphasis on moving things along while giving participants enough time to meaningfully contribute.

Third, an organized accounting of output from the Summit is now available, with contribution opportunities (help wanted) specifically called out.

I will need a good amount of help from all of you to finish collecting and labeling the output from the Summit. I’ll be reaching out to you individually with specific questions about different missing items. I’ll be asking on Discourse as well. If you have some free time and energy, you are welcome to jump in and just start. You can work directly on the NumFOCUS Wiki, though you’ll have to request an account first. If you’re unfamiliar with Mediawiki and don’t have time to figure it out, you’re welcome to email me with your updates.

Fourth, for those who want to help organize and/or write content for the report, I’m holding four sets of drop-in office hours. Times are available on this new shared calendar for the Sustainability Program.

You can join the office hours via teleconference using Zoom, regular phone using the number provided by Zoom, or web chat using Zulip. See individual meeting instances on the shared calendar for details. If you want to attend or otherwise need help but none of these times work for you, let me know.

Cheers,
Christie